Facebook News Feed Announcement: 5 Major Tips for Business and What to Expect.
“Facebook was built to bring people closer together and build relationships. One of the ways we do this is by connecting people to meaningful posts from their friends and family in News Feed. Over the next few months, we’ll be making updates to ranking so people have more opportunities to interact with the people they care about.” – Mark Zuckerberg
Will Every Business Page Be Affected?
Yes, but every business page may be affected differently. There are specific factors that will drive how much your company is affected, such as what type of content you are sharing and how your audience is interacting with your posts.
If your business page normally doesn’t see any interaction, those will be the ones that see the largest disruption with the new change in distribution. If your page tends to get a lot of engagement and prompts conversation, you will see less of an effect in your analytics.
With this change, posts that generate conversation between people will now show higher in the News Feeds compared to company or media updates. This is a bold move by Facebook, but one many social media managers have seen coming. So, what can you do to help your business through this change?
Top 5 Tips for Business
- Default to “See First”
- Ask your company fans and employees to opt-in on their Facebook to see your posts and company updates. This will allow the page’s posts to show up in the top of their news feed.
- To do this, have them go to your Facebook page under “following” and select “see first” rather than default.
- Live Video
- This is a portion of Facebook that will only continue to grow. In fact, live videos get six times as many interactions as regular videos. However, make sure that your live video content is relevant and interesting to your audience.
- Video Content
- Use video content vs. the same stock image. This can help increase engagement and catch the eye when scrolling through a news feed.
- Focus more on who we are than what we do
- This change doesn’t indicate that posting on Facebook is now a waste of time, but it will have companies reevaluating their strategy.
- Focus on more personal and company culture content that drives engagement to support your brand.
- Engage. Engage.
- It’s going to be more important than ever for companies to engage with what interaction happens on their page. If someone comments, engage back. If there is a review left, engage back. I think you get the point, but leaving those interactions left untouched, will not benefit your page.
What Changes to Expect
After Mark Zuckerberg’s news release, there are a few hot topics trending on what we can expect from this update.
- Ad prices will skyrocket – Companies will pay for those higher prices if it means more brand recognition.
- Time spent on Facebook will decrease – How many times have you been on Facebook, scrolling through your news feed and you get sucked into an ad or video? Next thing you know, you’ve spent the last 20 minutes looking through random content. These “distractions” in your news feed will decrease in hopes to create a more meaningful connection for users, meaning less time spent on the platform.
- Pages will have to follow the rules – Pages that try to work around and attempt using “engagement-bait” will result in demotion of post rankings.
In the end, Facebook is making a business move and companies will have to rethink their strategy and how they want to interact with their fans.
Read Facebook’s full news article and get all the details here.
How Can Parqa Help?
Digital marketing continues to evolve at a constant pace, so it helps to have a team on your side to navigate the latest changes and help you get solid results based on your unique objectives.
Parqa is a Digital Marketing Agency that specializes in SEO, SEM, Marketing Automation, Social Media and content creation. We help grow your brand and drive leads through inbound marketing.
Latest posts by Parqa (see all)
- How to Create Social Media Consistency for Your Company - May 8, 2019
- How Recruiters Can Build Trust Through Content Marketing - March 29, 2019
- Parqa Hires Chanel Schmidt as Sr. Social Media Manager - March 21, 2019